Location: Sud Forno (Terroni) – Queen Street West
Position: Executive Pastry Chef
Sud Forno is looking for an Executive Pastry Chef with strong baking and pastry experience and with the proven leadership skills to effectively oversee and manage our location on Queen Street West.
Our Italian bakery/restaurant, owned and operated by Terroni (currently celebrating our 25th anniversary), has been hugely successful since it first opened in 2013. In addition to its retail presence on the street, we cater special events and run a production kitchen that supplies all of our restaurant locations with our specialty breads, desserts, gelatos and special order cakes, authentic to Italian traditions. In addition to our breads and dessert items we offer specialty coffees, pizza, panini, salads and other delicious items to our loyal customers.
We are seeking an exceptional pastry chef who has the knowledge, skill and ability to create new offerings for our regular and special menus and loves the challenge. You are skilled at managing, mentoring and working with teams in complex and fast-paced environments. You may have developed these skills in a similar position for a hotel or other institution where you have mastered not just the people side of the job, but also the many administrative tasks that are involved in managing a business, including inventory and cost controls, health and safety compliance, and scheduling.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure that production of all breads, cakes and pastries adhere to Sud Forno standards
- Hands on and leading by example to ensure quality and consistency of all products served
- Create and test new recipes
- Manage and maintain production schedules
- Create and test new recipes and plan seasonal items and specialty items
- Control costs through various cost control measures, minimizing waste, and maintaining accurate records for sales and inventory while following all operational procedures
- Train and mentor pastry staff
- Other duties or responsibilities as assigned or as required
- Have 5 years experience in a comparable role
- Experience with Italian baking and pastries not essential, but would be an asset
- A la carte, production and event experience
- Highly organized and able to multitask
- Ability to work well under pressure as an individual or leading a team
- Open availability (weekends included) essential
- Possess professional disposition with good communication and interpersonal skills
- Ensure that all health, safety and cleanliness standards are enforced
- Good computer skills and understanding of Microsoft Office Suite
- Culinary degree or diploma an asset
Salary/Hourly Wage: We are offering a very competitive salary and benefits based upon your experience and the seniority of the position.
We sincerely thank you for your interest in this position and appreciate all those who apply, but only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Please reply with a brief cover note and your resume.