Wine Director / Sommelier
Terroni is seeking an experienced Wine Director/Sommelier to work with our team. The right person for this role will have access to Terroni’s wine agency, a team of sommeliers, an extensive wine education program, and an outstanding and exclusive all Italian wine list. All wines are hand-picked and designed to push our wine offerings to new levels. We have multiple locations within the City of Toronto and you will work with all our Sommeliers, Managers, and staff to manage, develop and continue to elevate our wine program.
Essential functions may include but not be limited to:
- Maintaining the wine cellar, other storage areas, related equipment and wine list;
- Ensuring control over inventory and stock levels as well as security of product of all wine at all locations;
- Ensuring accountability for wine service standards and training staff on wines and wine service and being available to answer staff questions;
- Communicating effectively with guests as needed, and assisting in the selection of wine for dinners or events, including being available on the floor during dinner service;
- Ensuring compliance with all laws related to alcohol service;
- Assisting in negotiations with suppliers;
- Planning, organizing, directing, evaluating and controlling daily operations related to your role as Wine Director;
- Utilizing your deep knowledge as a Wine Director on how to train and connect with managers and staff for training;
- Keeping a keen eye for new and interesting ways to share our wine story;
- Skill in shaping a wine list that covers a wide scope of producers and price ranges for each wine list update; and
- Communicating your passion for Italian wine.
Requirements for the job include:
- 3 to 5 years in the position of Wine Director for a multi-location company;
- A full understanding of ordering, maintaining par levels and forecasting orders;
- Experience in managing inventory reports;
- Willingness and ability to work evening and weekends;
- Impeccable customer service and communication skills;
- A professional appearance and welcoming manner;
- An in-depth knowledge of Italian wine (i.e. varietals, regions, vintages, etc.)
- Service experience, Sommelier Certificate (CAPS, ISG, etc.);
- Wine & Spirits Education Trust (WSET) credentials;
- Knowledge of Italian food and culture also an asset.
Compensation is negotiable and will be based upon the successful candidate’s experience and credentials for the position.
Please note that regretfully we cannot accept applications from anyone not legally entitled to work in Canada.
We sincerely thank you for your interest in this position and appreciate all those who apply, but only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.